With over 2000 TV News segments between them, Scott and Tom have been providing information to help families since 2009. From Caregiving to Home Safety and Improvement, their morning news segments offer tips from trusted sources who have "been there".
The Caregiving Minute segments provide specific information on unique and helpful how to's, products, and services for tens of millions of family caregivers struggling to get through each day.
Scott Silknitter is the founder of R.O.S. Therapy Systems, which provides programs for families and care companies, and a volunteer TV expert for WFMY News 2, CBS affiliate for Greensboro, NC.
TV, Speaking, and Contribution experience includes:
- Featured caregiving expert for Caregiving 101 series on WFMY News 2 since 2016. His segments cover topics such as dementia care, general caregiving, communicating, behavior interventions, home safety, and fall prevention.
- Featured caregiving expert for segment on Lifetime TV’s, The Balancing Act
- TEDx Speaker 2015
- Content contribution for Foxnews.com, Parkinson’s Foundation, Lewy Body Dementia Association, A Place for Mom
- Keynote and guest speaker at multiple functions including American Society on Aging, National Association of Activity professionals, Southern Gerontological Society, and more
His industry experience includes:
- Co-author over 15 caregiving “how to” books
- Creator of three series of elder activity books used in long-term care settings and family homes throughout North America
- Creator of multiple educational courses used by home care and long-term care companies throughout North America
- Programs and books are endorsed by the National Certification Council for Dementia Practitioners, The National Certification Council for Activity Professionals, The Lewy Body Dementia Association, Visiting Angels, Home Instead Senior Care, and multiple senior agencies in the United States.
- His Caregiving training programs have been used as an employee benefit by corporations such as VF to train employees who are also caregivers.
- Product designer with multiple patents of adaptive products to help seniors and those with special needs.
Scott’s passion for helping caregivers stems from his families struggles in caring for his father who battled Parkinson’s disease and dementia for over 25 years, as well as, his own successful battle with cancer. He has been on both sides of the caregiver struggle and understands the issues and emotions families and their loved one’s face.
Tom Garcia is the founder of Southern Evergreen, LLC, a residential construction firm, and a volunteer TV expert for WFMY News 2, CBS affiliate for Greensboro NC.
His construction experience includes:
- Residential Contractor with an Unlimited Residential Construction License issued by the State of North Carolina.
- The company is a Certified Aging in Place contractor
- Constructed more than 25 custom homes
- Renovated more than 100 homes (including Aging in Place practices)
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the LSU School of Engineering
- Former Board Member of the Southern Living Custom Builder Program
- Former Board Member of the Greensboro Builder’s Association
- Member of the Southern Living Builder Program since 2001 (Only 90 builders have been accepted for membership by Southern Living in the whole country)
His TV experience includes:
- Producer and Host of the Fix-It-Friday series on WFMY News 2 from 2008 to 2012. More than 250 segments which aired in Greensboro and other markets in the Gannett TV network.
- Producer and Co-Host of Home Renovation segments for WFMY News 2 from 2012 to 2014. More than 400 Live segments which aired in Greensboro,NC during the Good Morning Show.
- Producer and host of Spruce Up Your Space segments for WFMY News 2 from 2014 to Present. More than 750 “Look Live” taped segments which air in Greensboro, NC.
- Co-Producer and Co-Host of Caregiving 101 for WFMY News 2 from 2017 to Present. More than 100 segments planned for 2018.
- Prior to starting own company in 1999, Spokesperson for Fortune 5 company. 100’s of hours of media training and video work.
Tom’s talent for TV has made him a local celebrity in the markets in which he has and currently airs. While he not only plays a home expert on TV, he is one! Tom has worked in both the commercial and residential sector. Since 1999, he has devoted his talents to strictly residential construction and turning houses into homes. His weekly TV tips on ways to save energy, home safety, maintenance, home décor, and other home related topics have made him a mainstay in many homes.